Thursday, July 31, 2008

Something to blog about

1.)
Norris, S. (2008). Something to blog about. New York, New York: Amulet Books, pp 246.

I read an uncorrected proof of this book.

2.)
Libby Faucet is like most other girls in high school. She is unsure of herself and prone to dwelling on her flaws. She dwells on those flaws in her private blog throughout the fall of her 10th-grade year. Starting with a hair burning incident involving a Bunsen burner, Libby’s fall semester of school is a roller coaster of emotions. Libby’s mother is dating a new man who also happens to be her arch enemy’s father. Seth, Libby’s crush of two years, asks her to tutor him in chemistry—to bad the only chemistry that interests Libby is what she hopes will happen between her and Seth. All the while, her arch enemy continues to torment her at school. However, things hit the top of the hill of that roller coaster when Angel posts Libby’s no longer private blog all over the school.

3.)
Honestly, I picked this book out of Dr. Goering’s had because it was pink. As I started reading I was slightly disappointed but later in the novel a message became clear. This books takes an approach to privacy and the amount of information that young people put on the internet that is non-threatening and not condescending. I know that when Libby’s blog was posted around the school I should have been upset and felt sympathy for her but I was happy that someone had written a book that addressed the issue without acting like they thought the internet was evil and full of stalkers. Also, I thought the romantic high school relationship was a realistic depiction.

4.) I would use this book as an individual choice. I might read it aloud to the class if I thought that there could be a problem.

5.) This book would be appropriate for students in grades 8 and up.

6.) I enjoyed reading the book because it only took me a short amount of time and I thought the message was unique. This book may get a mention or two because it is a bit different than many of the other books I have read and seen other people read for this project but I doubt that it wins the Newberry Award or the National Book Award. I thought it was a realistic depiction of young people today and would be very relatable for students.

No comments: