Thursday, July 31, 2008

Eclipse

1)
Meyer, S. (2007). Eclipse. New York: Little, Brown and Company 629pp.

Teen Fiction, Teen Drama

2.)
Eclipse is the third book in Stephenie Meyer’s vampire love series. In this book, Edward and Bella continue their romance under the impossible circumstances. Jacob and his werewolf pack are ever present as are threats from the Voltori and Victoria. Edward claims he wants Bella to make an informed and well thought out decision to become a vampire. Jacob makes a convincing argument to Bella about the amount of love he has for her. At the end of the book, Bella is still human and even more confused about who she loves. However, she is engaged to Edward but there is a shadow of doubt in her mind.

3.)
Again, this story is very suspenseful and very entertaining. In the other two books, Meyer addressed the issue of premarital sex. However, this book really tackles it and conservative parents would be pleased with Edward’s responses. At the end of the previous book, I was angry with Edward and Bella because I thought their relationship was unhealthy. They were completely fixated on each other in an extremely unhealthy way. I still believe that but now I am annoyed with Jacob too. He was such an interesting character when he was introduced and even as he became a werewolf. However, his attempts to win Bella’s love are not in keeping with his personality before he was a werewolf and that is why I not longer claim to be on “Team Jacob.” I am on “Team Bella.” I want her to become a strong woman who believes in her decisions.

4.)
Again, after reading further into the series, I would only recommend this book for individual choice. If a group of students selected it for a literature circle, I would not protest.

5.)
I believe it would take an older student to understand the dynamic between the characters. Perhaps, the reader of these books should age with the characters. Between the beginning of Twlight and the end of Eclipse there is about 1 ½ years.

6.)
Again, I enjoyed reading this book but at this point might be a little embarrassed to be seen with it on an airplane. I read it very quickly and ignored phone calls as I read the last 100 pages. I am very excited about the new book coming out and plan to read it as soon as it does. I am also excited that kids are excited about reading this. I would be curious to see how the Bronte sisters’ sales are going since this book came out too.

No comments: