Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Watsons go to Birmingham---1963

1.)
Curtis, C. (1995). The Watsons go to Birmingham---1963. New York: Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, Inc., 210pp.

Coretta Scott King Award, Newberry Honor Book,

2.)
A large portion of the early part of this novel deals with the family dynamic of the “Weird Watsons.” Curtis sets the family up as…
Daddy- the entertainer
Momma/ Wilona- the skeptical but loving mother
Byron- the juvenile delinquent older brother
Kenneth- the smart but self conscious narrator with a lazy eye
Joetta- the exasperatingly perfect but lovable little sister
As the story develops, the Watsons head to Birmingham to take Byron to stay with Grandma Sands where he will learn how to behave. With the help of Grandma Sands and an extremely unfortunate event (that if I told would spoil the entire novel), the family comes together.

3.)
The characters are developed through the family dynamic. There were times when I was reading this book that I literally laughed out loud and thought of my family. After spending weeks getting the “Brown Bomber” ready for the drive, Daddy says there is one more thing that the car needs and he has it. He builds up, builds up, builds up and then with the help of Joetta reveals a scented pine tree to hang from the window. I thought of my dad directly. Set in Flint, Michigan, we learn how intolerance can impact someone even though they might not be directly at a loss. After the trip to Birmingham, everything changes in the family, specifically Byron. In the epilogue, Curtis addresses the Civil Rights Movement. He takes his work of fiction to the real world and makes direct connections to the everyday life of the reader.

4.)
I think this book would make a great read aloud. With some practice, I believe I could pull of a great performance when impersonating thick southern accents. I was a little worried when I was reading that I would not be able to address difficult issues like race and intolerance. However, Curtis does include an epilogue that does it better than I ever could. I would also suggest it for individual choice or small group.

5.)
The accelerated reader sticker on the copy I have says the reading level is 5. I would suggest this book for an individual choice for students in grades 5-8. This is a book for boys or girls.

6.)
I thought this book was amazing. As many readers would, I saw my family in the Watsons and believe that is what Curtis wanted his readers to do. I thought of myself as Kenny and Byron as my older brother. When we were young my brother and I did not get along. However, like the relationship between Bryon and Kenny changed, I now consider my brother my best friend. There are lessons in this book about characterization through action, tolerance, and the importance of family.

1 comment:

Lindsay Smith said...

Hola! I wanted to read your review on this book because you recommended it to me. It sounds like a great novel!! I love that it focuses on family dynamic and tolerance. (or lack there of) I love reading about crazy families, because I come from a crazy family. I also enjoyed your descriptions of the characters. I'm glad this book is for a younger audience, because most of the books I have read are for more mature audiences. From your description, I think students can learn a lot about family situations and relate this book to their personal lives. Also, intolerance is a great topic for this age group, especially if it is addressed through a character that isn't directly effected by it. This will allow students to see intolerance from another point of view.

I loved your review!!! Thanks for recommending this to me!! See you tomorrow.