Saturday, July 19, 2008

Twlight

Twlight

1.) a) Bibliography
Meyer, S. (2005). Twlight. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 498 pp.

b) Genre and awards
Fantasy, Vampire, Misfits and Outcasts, Supernatural, Fiction, A part of a series, #1 New York Times Best Seller

2.) Synopsis
At the beginning of the novel, Bella moves to her father’s hometown in Forks, Washington. She is not looking forward to the move because it constantly rains in Forks and she knows she will miss the warm Phoenix sun. Shortly after her arrival, she easily makes a set of new and eager friends and spots the odd Cullen family sitting alone across the cafeteria. I would compare the early interactions of Bella and her love interest Edward to a Mr. Darcy/ Elizabeth type relationship. However, the two can’t stay apart long and Bella soon discovers that Edward is a vampire who can read the thoughts of all humans except her. This story comes complete with a serious vampire hunt involving the entire Cullen family and vivid descriptions of Edward’s eyes and chest.

3.)
I believe the reason the New York Times call this book the “best book of the decade…so far” is because readers understand and get to know the characters so well. As readers we understand the emotion that develops between Bella and Edward. The action is quick but still there is a high level of suspense throughout. There are details dropped constantly and I was reading so fast to find out what would happened, I know I missed some. Since this book is a part of a series and there is much more to come for Bella and Edward, this book defiantly helps students to better understand foreshadowing. At the same time, this is more than just another teen love story. Edward and Bella are from two different places in society. The lengths they go to be together and protect one another is another reason why they are so appealing.

4.)
I know this book is very popular among girls and after they come back to the classroom it would be very difficult not to recommend one of the classic love stories from the Bronte sisters or Jane Austen. So, I would recommend this book as an individual choice and a bridge to a classic. I think it would be very difficult to use it in a group discussion because so many students have already read it. I would not want to spoil the ending for anyone.

5.) Appropriate Age Range: At any point a student feels like they can conquer a 500 page book, I would feel fine recommending this book to them. I did not find the content to be inappropriate. So, I guess I would recommend it to grades 7-12.

6.) This book was one of the most entertaining books I have read in a long time. I am excited to move forward in the series. I know many people do not think that Stephenie Meyer and JK Rowling are great writers. I disagree. I have to give them both credit because they have gotten young people interested in reading again. Even if I were not reading this book for a project, I would have read it in three days. I loved the suspense and the love story all wrapped up into one. I enjoyed Bella’s narration as well because I think I am a lot like her (very clumsy).

No comments: